A federal judge has granted the government’s motion to dismiss a lawsuit by opponents of marijuana legalization challenging a new initiative by the Trump administration. Cover up to $500 of hemp-derived products annually for eligible Medicare patients. The program being implemented by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) focuses largely on CBD, but also allows a certain amount of THC in products.
Judge Trevor N. McFadden ruled Friday that the prohibitionist and activist groups, led by Smart Approaches to Marijuana (SAM), as well as a biopharmaceutical corporation MMJ International Holdings and its subsidiaries, “have no standing to bring this case.”
“Each one claims an injury too abstract or far-fetched to open the doors of the court,” he said.
“At the outset, the Court notes that it need not address most of the questions raised by plaintiffs in their motions,” McFadden wrote. “This is because Plaintiffs’ case suffers from a fatal flaw: failure to establish the Article III bar to present their claims. The Court addresses only that jurisdictional hole and will dismiss the entire case and deny Plaintiffs a preliminary injunction.”
In April, lawyers Section of Health and Human Services. Robert F. Kennedy Jr. and CMS Director Mehmet Oz presented the summary saying that Anti-cannabis organizations filed lawsuit against Medicare hemp coverage policy they have no value to bring the case. Now the judge has agreed.
“There’s no plaintiff’s body that doesn’t show enough for an injury,” McFadden said. “All claim that resources were diverted in response to the establishment of the EIB, but none specified that this diversion of resources ‘impeded’ its core activities or prevented it from ‘pursuing its true purpose’.”
As for MMJ and its subsidiaries, the judge said, “it is not a direct and present competitor with anyone who sells hemp to Medicare beneficiaries.”
“In short, MMJ has no product on the market for Medicare beneficiaries and no sense of when it might be,” he said.
Beyond advocacy organizations, the lawsuit involves individual plaintiffs, including anti-marijuana advocate David Evans, who says he was sued for the Substance Access Beneficiary Engagement Incentive (BEI) as a Medicare recipient, but federal agencies reject that argument.
“If Evans’s worst-case scenario — his doctor recommends hemp — were to come true, Evans would suffer no specific harm,” McFadden wrote.
“In short, regardless of theory, plaintiffs have failed to establish an Article III injury from the implementation of the BEI,” the judge said. “The use and regulation of hemp are important issues, and the plaintiffs understandably have strong views on those issues. But while BOTH may not like it, they have not been harmed. So the case will be dismissed for lack of subject matter jurisdiction.”
SAM, for its part, is reversing the dismissal and says it may appeal.
“We fundamentally disagree with the court’s decision today. All parties have shown substantial injury that exceeds the threshold required by Article III,” said SAM President and CEO Kevin Sabet. “We are currently exploring all of our options, including an appeal. We will not rest until we make sure America’s seniors are safe from these false medical claims and the harms of dangerous marijuana products.”
McFadden previously denied the plaintiffs’ request for a temporary restraining order to stop the program from running on April 1st.
Notably, the government’s motion to dismiss the case says it was prepared in part by Matthew Zorn, an HHS attorney, before he took the federal job. litigated numerous cases against government agencies on behalf of plaintiffs seeking marijuana and drug policy reform..
The CMS initiative comes after President Donald Trump signed an executive order in December calling on the attorney general to finalize a federal marijuana redistricting rule, now underway, that also includes “access improvement” components for full-spectrum CBD products.
Under the program, inhalable preparations are not allowed, and products cannot contain more than 0.3 percent delta-9 THC by dry weight and a total of 3 milligrams of THC per serving.
The THC limit could potentially change if the law the president signed late last year goes into effect as planned in November. Such a policy would strictly limit the types of cannabis products currently allowed under the 2018 Farm Bill signed by Trump during his first term, specifically banning hemp derivatives with a total of 0.4 milligrams of THC per container.
The federal agencies stated in a brief of the lawsuit that “CMS does not pay for hemp products under the BEI.”
“Participating providers supply eligible products at their own cost, subject to an annual limit of $500 per beneficiary. BEI operates within a shared savings framework that defines the underlying model. If a provider’s investment in beneficiary engagement reduces the beneficiary’s total cost of care, it shares in the savings generated by the provider and CMS. If it does not absorb new, if the provider does not absorb new. BEI is essentially entitled to certain interventions. It is a provider decision that allows one to reduce downstream claims.
Meanwhile, the White House Office of Management and Budget recently held a series of meetings a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) CBD product enforcement policy.
The FDA also issued guidance making it clear that it does not intend to interfere Establish a Medicare coverage plan for hemp-derived products.
CMS finalized a rule that will be adopted separately Coverage of certain hemp products, primarily as specialized health-related benefits, through Medicare Advantage the plans
Read the judge’s the order dismissing the lawsuit challenging the Medicare hemp program below:
user photo Nanny Kimzy.