“It is unfair to everyone who has invested time, money and attention in this process. We ask that there be no delay.”
By Christopher Shea, Rhode Island Currant
State cannabis regulators have yet to decide how they will handle the allocation of 20 retail cannabis licenses to applicants selected by lottery before May.
The state planned to issue 24 licenses but reduced the number based on the distribution of applicants among the state’s six geographic areas. A total of 98 applications were submitted by the Rhode Island Cannabis Control Board’s December 29, 2025 deadline. One has since been withdrawn, Rhode Island Cannabis Administrator Michelle Reddish told the board at Friday’s monthly meeting.
A second applicant withdrew after the meeting, Cannabis Control Board spokesman Charon Rose confirmed Tuesday.
Commission staff are still reviewing applicants’ qualifications before they enter the final lottery that will award retail licenses. A breakdown of applicants available on the commission’s website shows that more than half — 56 — are seeking general retail licenses. Another 19 were cooperative workers and the remaining 23 were for social equity applicants, or those affected by the war on drugs.
State regulations passed last year set a maximum of four retailers zoneat least one license designated for a social equity applicant, and for a worker-owned cooperative.
Nearly a third of all retail license applications — 31 — were in Zone 6, along with all of Pawtucket, East Providence, Bristol and Newport counties.
Zone 1, which covers Burrillville, Cumberland, Glocester, North Smithfield and Smithfield, saw only two applications, both for social equity licenses. Applicants that did fall back were Die of Laughter, which applied to Zone 5, and Green Dolphin, which applied to Zone 4.
At the committee’s Friday meeting, the committee raised the possibility of phasing out the license release.
“Many stakeholders have raised the issue that if all potential licenses come online at the same time, the price of the product could drop so quickly that no one would win,” said Commissioner Robert Jacquard.
Kevin Rouleau, chief operating officer of Portsmouth-based Newport Cannabis Company, warned that a rapid saturation of the state’s small market could lead to a “race to the bottom” as more established businesses like his try to survive the new competition.
“This is going to hurt everybody, especially farmers who get pennies on the dollar for their produce,” Rouleau said.
The cultivators who participated in the meeting did not feel that way.
“We’re absolutely fine moving forward with the retail stores and we’re not concerned about that outcome,” Rhode Island Growers Association representative Nicholas Lacroix told the commission during the public comment period.
However, Reddish was concerned that the rapid expansion could lead to problems that have occurred in other states.
Cannabis revenue in Michigan fell in 2025, despite record total sales, driven by falling prices. The Oregon market has come under increased pressure from large harvests and low wholesale prices. In Massachusetts, merchants describe a “race to the bottom” that has wiped out many businesses from their market.
“Based on these examples, there is a need to discuss whether the commission should use its ability to take proactive steps to support a stable and successful cannabis industry, prepare to respond to market changes in real time and adjust course if necessary,” he said.
But attorney Allan Fung, a former Cranston mayor and former GOP congressional and gubernatorial candidate, appeared on behalf of several candidates. the applicantshe said that the market should ultimately be the entity that dictates price and competition.
“It’s unfair to everyone who has invested time, money and attention in this process,” Fung told commissioners. “We ask that there be no delay.”
It has already been a slow road for the state to establish its own recreational cannabis market. More than a year passed before the three-member committee was inaugurated in June 2023. The commission had to hire staff to write proposals and review rules adopted in other states. Rhode Island’s rules governing retail cannabis were finally approved in May 2025. Chairman Kim Ahern stepped down last October to become attorney general, and Gov. Dan McKee (D) has yet to name a successor.
Meanwhile, eight medical dispensaries in the state have been authorized to sell recreational cannabis under hybrid licenses.
“The only people who benefit from these dispensaries being slow are the current dispensaries who have a monopoly on the cannabis market,” said Spencer Blier, director of Warwick-based Mammoth Inc. CEO and founder of cultivator.
Because few applications were submitted for Zone 1, Reddish informed the board on Jan. 16. the meeting that regulators would issue up to 20 licenses statewide.
“Depending on how the application process is completed, that number may decrease,” Reddish said Friday.
Starting Jan. 1, the state Office of Cannabis had 90 days to review applications and confirm they met eligibility requirements before entering a lottery, according to a schedule approved by the commission at its Oct. 20 meeting.
Applicants must still obtain the necessary local approvals to enter the random drawing. Regulators aimed to start issuing licenses before May, although the regulations do not specify how many will be issued at one time.
The commissioners did not vote on Friday. The board decided to decide how many licenses to grant at a time for a future meeting.
The next meeting organized by the committee is Friday, March 20, at 1:00 p.m.
This story was first published by the Rhode Island Currant.